3 months after the storm
The story so far
So this is a reminder of what greeted us back in February after the storms here. I had only just said to the other half how nicely things were coming on and how it looked like this year it was really going to shine. Unfortunately Mother Nature didn’t like how things were going so decided to squash the border with the help of the neighbours’ fence.
Change – is it always for the best?
After waiting a few months for the neighbours to get the boundary reinstated (For a while it looked like our our temporary fix with a wooden post, some wire and removing the top row of bricks from the damaged wall was going to have to survive another winter) we were greeted by the following sight;
Hmmm… remedial action needed. Not trusting the integrity of the replacement I decided not to attach supporting wires to the new fence – instead I’ve put posts and wires up. That boundary needs green!! My week of annual leave seemed the perfect opportunity to spend some quality time in the garden and really crack on with the repairs.
The fence posts went up (much to the relief of the climbing rose doing its best impression of ground cover).
Here’s a selection of new plants bought to fill the gaps. The landscaper took the view that in order to successfully put up the new fence he had to cut off everything in the border to 30cm from the ground and stand on everything else. So we had a few gaps. We’ve gone for a selection of white flowering plants from Hill House Nursery to bring some light into this part of the garden that tends to be shaded by the barn. There’s a jasmine, Geranium phaeum ‘alba’ and a white lupin. We also have put in a viburnum and a rambling white rose.
Finished just as the sun goes down
This is the finished result. The box balls have been tidied, damaged and flattened plants have been either pruned or supported. The climbers are once again climbing. Although most of the roses are facing the fence at the moment but they’ll get themselves sorted in the end.