Work has finally started on my Greenhouse Construction Project
And we’re off! After a hiatus while spending time doing things like wedding planning, taking a huge exam and other such distractions, work has finally commenced on the greenhouse (huzzah!)
There used to be a wood store sited next to the shed but it was next to useless. Despite it’s sheltered position there was no way of keeping the wood dry so it had to go. What you can see here is the vague layout of the eventual footprint of the structure and a roofless woodstore. The back wall of the woodstore will be the wall of the greenhouse.
As a site for a greenhouse it’s not ideal. It’s not in full sun for a lot of the day but it’s the only place in the garden where it won’t be intrusive. The best place for a greenhouse would be in the top garden but would mean losing our largest, sunniest bed adjacent to the patio where we eat in summer. Not ideal and quickly vetoed by the other half. The chosen site is under-used space nearer the house and if I can make the finished product look attractive I think it will do. The next head-scratcher is what to do with the washing line.
How come I’ve finally started?
These are the reasons for all the haste. My tomato seedlings are just about ready to be planted on and with that comes a demand for space that I can’t give em at the moment. The chillies are behind in the photo and behind in terms of development. Interestingly these tomatoes from Real Seeds have a dark red/purple hue to the undersides of the seed leaves and stems which I haven’t seen before and can just been seen in the picture. It’s very ornamental and I hope stays a feature of the mature plants.
Having cleared the area and spent a good deal of time scribbling on a pad, measuring things and generally trying my best to look like a real man, I have a finished plan and I’ve ordered the required building materials. Watch this space…