Garden Update 3rd June 2017: Paths, Protection and Poo
The biggest change has been putting down material to suppress some weed growth that’s coming through where we removed the turf. I’d hate the grass to re-establish and undo all our hard work taking the turf off. One light rain and they dutifully curved up but that’s not a huge deal.
I now have a water storage at the plot. We don’t yet have a mains water line to the allotment so water butts are essential. I’m still sourcing an IBC tank so in the meantime, these water butts from the house have been called up.
My lovely horse-owning cousin has provided a donation of ‘Black Gold’ to the plot. She drove the trailer whilst I was on chief shovelling duty. I now have a bulk bag of well-rotted manure on site ready for soil conditioning and mulching the plot. I’m really chuffed.
The sheep are now living in the field well the horse manure is rotting down – he had to come to inspect.
I lost a couple of pea seedlings to the pigeons this week so I grabbed some leftover chicken wire sheets and constructed a protection cage which will also serve as an initial climbing support for the young plants. Higher up I’ll pull some netting to support the mangetout and tall peas.
We spent an hour the other evening planting out Sweetcorn, Cucumbers (an experiment), Squash, and Climbing French Beans. There was plenty of muck in the planting holes so I’m hoping they’ll do really well this year.
Moving out the Squash, Cucumber and Climbing Bean plants has created some gaps so I’ve started off some more seeds (Keep track of these by taking a look at my seed sowing spreadsheet). I’ve put the spares outside the cottage for sale.
The tomatoes have finally started to look like they’ve decided to stay and put on some growth this week. I’ve been a little better watering them which may have something to do with it. It was also time to plant the Tomato ‘Marmande’ in the beds.
I took part in the Chili Challenge in 2014 and had a terrible year for Chillies. This year, just when the pressure is off, they’ve done really well!
After tackling the overgrowth and weeds in the far garden, I am pleased to see some old features of the garden making a come-back and drawing some attention.
The smell of this rose is incredible. Despite the colour being a little too Barbie for my tastes we’d never remove it. Everyone who visits gets a couple of flowers in a posy to take home.
This white geranium is lovely, delicate and light, I want it to spread around the garden so I’ll watch the seedpods closely.
There were lots of alliums in the garden when we came but I’ve noticed they’ve diminished. I’ve saved some seed from the Gladiator types and started them in the greenhouse.
Also going in a pot are these Cirsium seeds – I’m hoping to get a small bunch to put up in the Far Garden.